Thursday, August 17, 2017

Breaking In A New Doctor

I was disappointed when my endocrinologist left for a new hospital. But I can understand that as the mother of two small children she needed a shorter commute to be able to achieve a good work/life balance. However, that meant I needed a new endocrinologist. I met him yesterday.

Before I met my endocrinologist after I had an appointment with my rheumatologist who is a nice woman in her late 50s/early 60s who has been a doctor for many years. In contrast my endocrinologist joined the hospital in early July after his residency. This means he is a kid, literally. I think I have clothes older than he is.

When I met him, my first sentence was "I have a complicated medical history". At least he had read parts of it but that lead to a big discussion about how I used to have an endocrinologist and then didn't and then finally did again which lead to evil ultrasounds that drove me crazy because they were supposed to be clean but weren't for a couple of years.

He didn't break down and cry when looking at my medical history. We made a deal. I will come back and see him in December after I get more thyroid blood work done. Then every six months I will have more blood work done and I will see him once a year. And I only will have another ultrasound if my thyroid levels go up which would signal a recurrence.

That was a good start. But I wish he would grow up a little bit.....

1 comment:

Andrea said...

*hahaha* I'm a retired nurse and I knew I was getting "past prime" when all the new doctors coming in were my son's age. Good luck with the new doc and want you to know I read your blog all the time, even though I don't comment much. Blessings~ Andrea xoxo

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...