Saturday, June 2, 2007

My big announcement

As you can probably tell from my blog's name, I got some very bad news this week. It all started with my annual checkup in late April. I was sent on a standard annual mammogram on May 10. On the 11th, I got a call they needed me to come back in which I did on the 14th. I had another mammogram and an ultrasound where they found I have what is called a complex cyst. They sent me to a surgeon for a follow up on the 23rd who scheduled me for a needle biopsy on the 29th. The results were positive for cancer on May 31st. I had an MRI (oh what fun) on June 1.

Now what do I do? I don't know how to tell people, I don't know what to say. I have been on the message boards at the Susan Komen Foundation (www.komen.org) where I have learned that evidently this is one of the most stressful times. You know the beginnings of the diagnosis but nothing about what they can do about it.

Our next step is to consult with a surgeon, medical oncologist, radiation oncologist and social worker on Monday, June 4. Hopefully then we will find out more about the stage of my cancer and the treatment. Then perhaps I will be able to communicate better about it.

Is it wimpy of me to put my thoughts into a blog? I am not sure. I would like to talk to everyone about it but it is too soon for me to answer questions as I dont know anything yet and I am not sure I am up to all the calls. I hope to post regularly and invite people to visit my blog.

Right now I can tell you I am scared, stressed, and very upset. Also, my damn steri strips from my biopsy itch like hell and I can't take them off!!!

4 comments:

RCinRC said...

Caroline, Walter told me of this today. I am so sorry. You are a strong lady and so much going for you, just keep a positive thought. Do NOT think of it as a disease but as in invader and the faster it is out, the better. Walter will be your strength. He is so good in crises. And SherKahn your buddy. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Eliz will know tomorrow. My blog name is RCinRC. remember the Reserved Cousins?

Unknown said...

THE CW'S 90210 HAVE BEEN DOING EPISODES ABOUT CANCER I THINK THIER IS ONE AIRING TONIGHT.
http://www.cwtv.com/thecw/gen-gallery-90210-warriorsinpink

Health Blog said...

I hope you'll get better soon.

Unknown said...

I wish you all the best and wish you best of health.
May you get well soon, I can't stop my tears after reading your story.
Rabia from http://bit.ly/1WgFrhy

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...