Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Perhaps some real progress

How about a vaccine to prevent cancer recurrence? And it has already gone through Phase II clinical trials. The Phase III trials start next year. That sounds pretty darn good to me. Yes its only for some people with certain kinds of breast cancer and it doesn't eliminate risk of recurrence but reduces it by more than half.

These researchers chose a different route and it worked:

The senior investigator, Colonel George E. Peoples from Brooke Army Medical Center, Fort Sam Houston, Texas, told Reuters Health by email, "We have taken a different approach to cancer vaccine trials and focused on the adjuvant setting. We want to use our vaccine to prevent disease as opposed to treating established tumors."

As it has gotten through Phase II trials, this means they have already been following patients for an average of five years. It is my understanding that once a drug has gotten this far, they have a pretty good chance to get through to FDA approval.

I'll call this some real progress and look forward to more of the same.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...