Thursday, May 17, 2012

The people who don't social media

To continue yesterday's post, I have noticed in the previous years I have some friends and family members who are on social media and some who aren't. And I feel a distance growing between with the ones who don't.

Basically if someone isn't on social media with me - twitter, FB, Linkedin, Pinterest, etc - they will probably not have any idea of what I am up to and what are my latest ailments.

The friends I see and actually go to lunch with or out for coffee with one on one have a good understanding of how I am doing because it is a chance to discuss things face to face. But still not as good as the social media thing.If I only get together with people as part of a group, they probably don't understand either because I am not going to take center stage to discuss my health when there are more interesting things to talk about.

While I like talking on the phone, the last thing I want to do is repeatedly run down the current status of all my ailments. I don't. If you ask a specific question - one of the most common ones I get is 'is your back any better yet?'. The answer to that question is 'no it is not and will not be better so shut up and stop asking'. I created a blog which is the center of all my social media to handle all the ailment questions.

So, if you aren't on social media with me, you are out of the loop. And if you aren't on social media, you probably aren't reading my blog and will never get this message. Sorry, I don't feel inclined to repeat my medical ailment status over and over again. And they are my ailments affecting my body so I am allowed to handle them the way I want to. My health is about me, my health is not about you. So if you want to know how I am doing, you might need to make an effort from time to time.

Yes those of you who  aren't on social media, you might need to make more of an effort to keep up with your friends who are. Social media is becoming interwoven into the way we communicate on many levels. The news broadcasts reference online material, events ask you to tweet about them, stores have a Facebook page and a Pinterest page for their wares. Special deals are available through social media. So if you aren't there, you don't know what is going on with me and many other things. In other words, you are being left behind.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...