Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pinkification is pissing people off

Try saying that three times fast... (I don't use usually use the term pissing people off but it fits here and I apologize if you find it offensive). I wasn't going to write about pinkification any more as it pisses me off. But then I read the morning paper and there was a nice article explaining how it got to where it is and  why it makes people so mad. 20 years ago Komen started the pink ribbon idea at an event in New York and it did great things. We are all now aware of breast cancer, especially those of us who were lucky enough to get it.

So pinkification was started in 1991 with the first pink ribbons distributed. Then it has evolved into all sorts of pinked things - pink trash cans, pink guns, pink KFC baskets, pink perfume (made with known carcinogens and sold by Komen), and pink football helmets. Pinkification isn't helping anymore. If it pisses you off, you are not alone, there is even a book about it, Pink Ribbon Inc.

I think its time to let loose my inner rebel and come up with anti-pinkification and read more from Breast Cancer Action  and Think Before You Pink.

1 comment:

Debbi said...

I still dont know WHAT to think of pink now that I am fighting breast cancer.
I thought it was a good thing before...Now not so much when I read the things I do online and from my bloggie friends. They HAVE to do more then they are doing with all that money then "prevention" They have to do more for those of us with invasive cancer and METS. I think its crazy that only one day of this month is set aside for METS...Sad...
Debbi

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...