Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pinkotober is causing denial

All this pinkwashing that is driving us crazy is having an effect with women - denial that they may get breast cancer. Apparently men realize they are supporting breast cancer awareness but in women its different. There is a lot of psychology here but apparently some man must have dreamed up all this pink crap because women react differently to the pink stuff - they are more likely to go into denial that they will get breast cancer or whatever it was that got pinked.

Go read this article (after coffee so you don't fall asleep) and it explains how men and women react differently to ads and colors in them. They also use the example of graphic warnings of cancerous lungs on cigarette packs - women are more likely to go into denial that they will get the ailment.

So as far as I am concerned the NFL can wear pink helmets and cleats and they are supporting breast cancer but all that pink stuff for women is a bunch of hooey. There are some ways to help reduce your risk of getting breast cancer but buying a pinked thing isn't going to help you.

2 comments:

Megan S. said...

I liked the post. Although I think it's hard for people who haven't gone through breast cancer, or cancer treatments in general, to always relate. My aunt is a survivor and proudly wears the pink ribbon on clothes, cups, etc. At the same time, I feel it's become more of a fashion statement for people to keep up with. Almost like the black & yellow for Livestrong

Anonymous said...

OMG the local Cape Cod newspaper we bought last weekend was actually printed on pink paper--- the whole thing!! It was a dreadful grey pink. Very depressing..... Robin

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...