Monday, February 4, 2013

Keeping up with the Jones'

If all your friends jumped off a cliff, would you? The latest fashion in breast cancer treatment is to have a mastectomy, even bilateral, at the least sign of breast cancer. The celebrities are doing it, so why shouldn't everyone else?

Because it doesn't necessarily mean the patient will have a better outcome. So why do patients opt for a much more drastic option when there is a significantly easier option?

The answer seems to be fear of recurrence. The professional reply is that 'No doubt, oncologists could do a better job calming women’s fears and educating them on the long and painful recuperation period involved with breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.'

Not so fast. I know many women who have gone through a breast cancer diagnosis who take time to think and make a rational decision that they really want two things:
  1. Cancer out of their bodies
  2. Not have to have such intense monitoring for the rest of their lives.
I do know some women who have not made as deep a thought process (like me) and did what the doctor advised. But many others have had a bilateral mastectomy for the peace of mind. Its not keeping up with the latest fashion.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...