Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Privacy and support

With a cancer, or other 'icky', diagnosis, life has significant ups and downs. Sometimes people want support and sometimes they want privacy. It depends on lots of things - patient and family member's personality, type of diagnosis, current state on the medical roller coaster, among other issues. So the outsider is left to figure out when to intrude and when not to.

I have a friend who is coping with her husband's Stage IV cancer diagnosis and on-going treatment. It is hard to get together with  her these days as she can't tell day by day how he will be doing and if she will be comfortable leaving him. We communicate by email and try to set up times to get together - which sometimes it takes months to meet.

Another friend has a long term friendship with another couple who have suffered a horrible family tragedy last year and now the wife is dealing with metastases in her Stage IV cancer diagnosis. They are normally a very private couple and usually keep their personal issues quiet. The husband sent my friend an email about his wife's disease progression.

My thought is that this is a cry for help and I think my friend should call them up and offer to bring lunch on Saturday or something so they can get together. If they are opening up at this horrible time in their life, it is a request for support that they know my friend can provide through her own experiences and their long term friendship.

My friend, on the other hand, isn't so sure and thinks they would not want the intrusion. She knows them and I don't so perhaps she is correct here. But it is very hard to tell in these situations

When is it time to intrude and when is it time to honor their privacy. This goes beyond the issue of hospital visits that I blogged about the other day.

Many patients with icky medical diagnosis set up ways to control communication so they are not overwhelmed - whether a blog (like me), a web page, Facebook page, Twitter feed, or email blasts. It can be very difficult to control the communication flow. How to balance the latest medical information, need for privacy, and over anxious friends and family members is a huge problem for many patients.

The last thing many patients need is daily phone calls from the same people asking for the latest updates - what did the doctor say, what did your scan show, are you worried, how are your children coping -  have you told them yet, and a slew of other questions that pressure the patient to share when they may not be ready to do so.  And if there are repeated requests over and over the patient's stress mounts at an already stressful time.

A patient's right to privacy must be respected but sometimes they do need some support. The tricky part is figuring out when to intrude.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!! I just finished a good non-fiction book -- the end of life book club-- and the author writes of learning to ask his critically ill mother this question: Would you like me to ask you how are you feelng? This question gives to patient control of how much information is shared, if any. I thought this was a smart approach. Maybe your couple friends could try a variation on this question. Just a thought. All the best, Robin ( who is busy with two little bitty grandsons and amazed at how much work it is to take good care of little kiddies....whew!!)

Tolo said...

Don't give up hope. Live stem cells therapy could help. It had heal people with cancer. Should you need more information, I would be glad to share. God Bless

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...