Friday, December 19, 2014

Food for thyroid thought

In 1981, I had my thyroid removed. I have no idea what my thryoid numbers were then. I don't even know how much tracking they did of thyroid numbers anyway. I have never really understood thyroid numbers anyway. I know if your numbers are too high, you need to take take more to make them go lower.

Now this doctor explains (to smarter brains than me) about old levels (pre-surgery) and new numbers. I need to talk to my doctor. I have no idea what my old numbers were. I have no idea if they are buried in my medical records or just never recorded. And if they are buried in my medical records from 1981 they might as well have never been recorded because they are in a paper file in the medical archives which are in some 'other' building at the hospital and take a long laborious process to be retrieved.

This is a prime example of how the medical world  has changed in the past 30+ years. Back then, when I was young and had no idea about medical crap, we listened to our doctors and believed what they said. We didn't do any research because we believed what they told us. If we had questions, we might find a second opinion but probably not.

And also I have changed. At that young age (and if you want to know how old I am this year I am 37, last year I was 37, and next year I will be 37), I didn't really care about what doctors said because I was healthy damnit and in college and didn't really think about what it was like to be sick more than a cold.

But I digress. I need to print out that article and bring it with me to my next endocrinologist appointment which is sometime early in 2015. And I should probably make a note to myself on my calendar to remind myself to ask the doctor about it.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...