Monday, November 23, 2015

The blind leading the sighted

I get so disappointed when I find cancer support activities lead by those who have never been diagnosed with cancer. Its a huge disappointment.

I went to visit another cancer support place/center/whatever you want to call it last week. While it was a nice place and offered a nice range of activities and support services, no one I met has ever had cancer. Some had an oncology backgrounds or extensive training, but that is not the same thing.

They have not 'walked the walk'. I don't know how they can talk the talk if they haven't walked the walk.

This is a huge frustration for me personally. I feel its right up there with someone who can't draw teaching an art class. Or the blind trying to lead the sighted.

In the process of making the appointment and meeting with their intake person I was offered a massage, tai chi, yoga class, acupuncture, acupressure, and something else I can't remember that would not help me at all. And why couldn't I just refuse instead of having to explain my medical issues?

In my perfect dream world, I would design a cancer support center where every single person in a leadership position, board members and senior staff, would be people who had been through a cancer diagnosis personally.

How can people who haven't dealt with the illness come up with appropriate activities and interactions if they haven't dealt with it themselves?

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...