- There will be approximately 226,000 cases of lung cancer and 229,000 cases of breast cancer diagnosed in the US this year.
- There will be approximately 160,000 deaths from lung cancer and 39,000 deaths from breast cancer in the US this year.
- Nearly twice as many women will die from lung cancer than will die from breast cancer.
- There are no ribbon walks, runs, awareness, yogurt lids, hats, and all that for lung cancer.
- Awareness of other types of cancer
- Research for a cure for all types of cancer
- Fewer pink ribbons
I live in the little microcosm of the pink breast cancer world which is populated by women with their pink ribbons and strong sense of humor. My little world also includes a growing community of thyroid cancer people which is a cancer with one of the fastest growing incidence rates. I was lucky both these cancers have relatively good survival rates. Lung cancer is one which does not. We tend to forget the statistics that others face. That is the awareness we really need.