Thursday, December 27, 2012

My goals

Now these are not by any stretch New Year's Resolutions - that isn't until next week so I have lots of time left to procrastinate on them. These are goals of things I want to do. I mean besides win the lottery or find the cure for cancer and stuff like that. These are just some basic goals.

I have been reading other people's blogs for as long as I have been blogging. Most of them are written by other cancer people. I also hang out online with all sorts of healthy and unhealthy people. I have learned a lot about how people regard life with their ailments. I know what I think but sometimes I am a slacker.

Okay, here they are:
  • I will not succumb  to the 'woe is  me' attitude. So I had cancer twice now (and am still here) but it is not a case of woe is me. I will prevail.
  • Cancer is not going to kill me anytime soon. I don't care what stage you are, your cancer is not necessarily what is going to kill you. You could get hit by a bus tomorrow just like anyone else. If you are Stage IV, it is still true for you - a bus could come your way. So why live like cancer is what is going to do you in? And with treatment these days, there are people living out there for decades with metastases. So my goal is to live as long as possible.
  • There is a lot more to life than my list of ailments and boxes of pills and doctor appointments. I can't do some of the things I used to be able to do - like skiing off the top of the headwall into a big bowl of powder snow, or climb big mountains, or whatever. But I still can do a lot of things and have fun doing it. 
I think that's enough for today. I need to get some work done and clean the house in preparation for house guests (well sort of clean). But I do have to get to work.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...