Thursday, September 18, 2014

Celebrating more birthdays

The American Cancer Society has/had a campaign on celebrating more birthdays. Really its just another way of saying 'another year on the right side of the daisies'. I'm all for it.

There have been times in my life where I would think 'if I make it to X, I'll do Y'. I was going to have a party 20 years out from my first cancer diagnosis, then 25 years out. It still hasn't happened.

But it was thrown off course with a second cancer diagnosis 25.75 years after the first. Is that right? I'm doing math in my head early in the day so I'm not sure. But I think it is after counting on my fingers a few times.

That means I had 25 years of more birthdays in cancerland. Followed by 7 years of more birthdays in double cancerland. (We are not hoping for triple cancerland.)

What is the significance? I'm not sure. I am at a time in my life where I feel I hear about more and more friends who do not make it. Last weekend an old high school friend who I haven't seen in decades died in his sleep at age 52. And he had no apparent health issues. How sad.

But now I am celebrating more birthdays and enjoying it. If you must know I am 37 again. And I'm still here.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...