Sunday, April 19, 2015

Its been sad

The last picture before we went to the vet.
On Thursday, we had to put our cat, Shere Khan, to sleep. He was my chemo buddy. I would sit on the couch and watch bad TV and he would snuggle. He was with me through lots of health issues in the last ten years. And he snuggled and cuddled through all of it.

My husband got him in the fall of 2001 shortly after he bought a condo. He went to a dinner party and mentioned that he was thinking about getting a cat. Presto, he went home with a cat. Shortly after, I met them both, three years later we got married and moved into a house together. Then my health started to fall apart and both of them stuck with me. I think he knew when I wasn't doing well and he supported me through it.

He was born in November 1994 which means he was over 20 when he died, old for a cat. We knew he was having health issues in the past few years and his health really went down hill in the past few months. It finally got to a point where he wasn't eating or drinking. When we brought him to the vet on Thursday, she told us he was starting to suffer from being dehydrated and it was time.

It has been incredibly difficult for me. More than I ever thought. As someone at the vet told us when we left in tears, time will heal. I have been a little depressed and been isolating myself as I mourn. I think I am turning the corner and will begin to feel better soon.

We will go on vacation soon and I hope that helps me recover more. I just need to be sad for a while.

5 comments:

Joe Noel said...

Nothing wrong with sadness, like most things, if done in moderation. My big dog is 13, and we are all bracing ourselves. There is no closer friend than a pet, and you have needed a good friend. My condolences...

Jim's Girl said...

I am so sorry, Caroline. I know this pain. It does get better. But you never forget furry friends. Just today we were talking about our cat that died twenty years ago. He was a regal looking cat, with a fondness for popcorn and attacking my hair from behind. I loved him well. ~ Kate

Unknown said...

"In moderation."Hmmm...

Nancy's Point said...

Oh, Caroline, I'm so sorry. It's super hard when our special pets die. I think there's a whole other layer of grief when they've been through cancer, or any serious times, with us. Our golden is now 12 and I am starting to think about that day. Both of our dogs sat with me time and time again while I cried over my mom's death and, of course, all through my cancer treatment 'on the couch' times when I was far from feeling my best as well. Plus, they were the ones with me the day I got the call. They've seen a lot. I'm glad you have special memories of Shere Khan. Allow yourself to be sad. Thanks for sharing about him. xx

Kathryn said...

I'm just catching up on blog reading now, but I wanted to say how very sorry I am for your loss.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...