Thursday, April 30, 2015

Soy and breast cancer, again

I hate tofu (as you may know) and have been avoiding soy and soy products since my breast cancer diagnosis. There has been a lot of controversy on the subject of soy and breast cancer because of estrogen issues. Now I think I have found some better information.

Some new research was done at the University of Illinois - Champaign/Urbana that was released earlier this week.

"Researchers at the University of Illinois found that the compounds in minimally processed soy flour stimulate genes that suppress cancer, while purified soy isoflavones stimulate oncogenes that promote tumor growth."

Hence the confusion. Soy is good if not processed and helps prevent cancer but if it is processed it can increase cancer risk.

So if you really want you can eat tofu (without me) and soy flour but skip anything with processed soy.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm with you an the distaste for tofu, but I do like edamame - how much less processed can you get then actual soy beans ... this research aligns with the advice I was given very early on ... just watch out for soy protein isolate which is in a LOT of processed foods ...

But I really like the excuse of avoiding soy so that I'm not expected to eat tofu ... ever ...

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...