Thursday, August 19, 2010

Seeing is believing

So headlines this morning report that the new chief of Blue Cross in MA says that reining in costs is a top priority. Well, that sounds like political campaign words - 'its all about taxes' but in the world of health care, its all about premiums and coverage. Call me a skeptic after decades of jumps in health insurance premiums and decreases or more complicated rules for getting coverage. I will take a wait and see approach on this one.

Just the other day, it was reported that a hospital charged $300 for a $17 device. So you can see why I am a skeptic.

One thing I am not a skeptic on is this new study that palliative care extends the life of cancer patients. Back when I was first diagnosed with breast cancer and had two surgeries and was starting chemo and was a tiny bit stressed, I joined a support group at a local non profit (where I now work) which also offered wellness activities including Reiki. I was a skeptic then but desperate - not sleeping, totally stressed, a tiny bit crabby. I was offered a reiki session and poo pooed it. But then I tried it and felt nothing during the session but went home and took a nap - and actually felt rested.

Now the organization I work for, has expanded their offerings to include reiki, meditation, polarity and all sorts of activities for those touched by cancer - current and former patients, caregivers, and family members.

So maybe my skepticism will change to optimisim if the health insurance rates stop having these giant jumps and over charge for things - just like the government was accused of in the past - the $50 box of paper clips.

1 comment:

linda said...

I haven't tried reiki. Maybe now I will. Thanks!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...