Saturday, August 14, 2010

And the doctor says 'eat your veggies'

Lots of Americans don't eat their vegetables and there is a growing obesity problem in the US. Now some doctors are prescribing vegetables to their patients. I think this is a great idea. Some people just need a little prompting to try new things and actually follow the advice of their doctors (now there are a lot of people who don't follow their advice but I am sure that's a different blog post).

I think people have a tendency to eat things that are:

- familiar to them - the food they grew up with.
- easy to make or obtain - prepackaged or fast food
- taste good - think chocolate, sweet, french fries

But back up to the healthy criteria. Hopefully the vegetables and fruits and vitamins and minerals are in there somewhere.

You don't have to be a cook to eat healthy in this country - the land of prepackaged everything. Of course, its probably best to organically grow your vegetables and buy everything at the local farmer's markets and make everything from scratch. But because of the convenience of America's food culture, you can go to the grocery store and get a bag of lettuce and some pre cut carrots and celery and then get hamburgers and rolls and there you go - a relatively nutritionally meal. Then go for a walk and you are off to a healthier life.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...