Monday, September 27, 2010

Cancer creates bonds

Take two cancer patients sitting side by side in chemo or in a waiting room and they start comparing notes and talking. Who's your doctor? What do you think of the new nurse? You've been waiting how long? And then the conversation moves on to all sorts of topics. Cancer people don't just talk about cancer. But once two realize they have a lot in common, the talking begins.

Yesterday I did some shopping. I need a dress to wear to a Bat Mitzvah next weekend - and I can't remember the last time I bought a dress. But I went off on my mission. I saw a sign for a yard sale and tried to find it but to no avail so I gave up and went on to the stores. Two stores later I found my dress and a fancy sweater to wear over it. I headed home and went by another yard sale sign - this time I found it.

I wandered around and found a few containers I could use. There was a large book shelf full of books. I noticed several books 'The Breast Cancer Cook Book', 'Breast Cancer Fitness Plant' and a book on the Lebed method which I had been looking for but didn't want to pay full price. (Its an exercise plan helping prevent/reduce the effects of lymphedema.)

While paying, I asked the woman if she had had breast cancer. She said yes and we started talking. She said she got her support through a number of friends who had also had breast cancer. I told her where I worked that had support groups and other wellness groups for cancer people. She asked if they would take a donation of books and proceeded to give me all their books on cancer as a donation for the association.

I don't know her name and it was a moving sale so I'll probably never cross her path again. But a few minutes of conversation on a bond of cancer is all it took. And thank you for the books.

1 comment:

nancy said...

Yes, the bond between people who have or have had cancer is pretty strong. No one understands like another person who has been there. It was generous of that woman to donate all those books!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...