Monday, September 20, 2010

To soy or not to soy - will it ever be resolved?

Soy products such as tofu, edamame, soy milk, (but not soy yogurt which is just foul - sort of like eating elmer's glue) and other items are supposed to be part of a healthy diet. We have soy burgers, soy chips, soy supplements, soy everything. We are told to look at Asian countries where soy intake is high and rates of Western illnesses such as cancer are much lower as our examples.

But then they tell us don't eat soy or soy supplements because there if you have estrogen positive breast cancer and some other cancers. Soy contains something that is considered a plant based estrogen that could be feeding these cancers. If you have an estrogen positive breast cancer, it could be fed by soy products.

This latest article states that Asians who are historically accustomed to high levels of soy in their diet should have no reason to lower their intake levels. But Western consumers who are not accustomed to soy products should be eat only a moderate amount of soy products until more is known and to skip soy pills or supplements until more is known about their effects.

So? What about those of us with Estrogen positive breast cancer? Do we get to eat soy or not? No mention here in this recommendation. So I will continue my soy avoiding ways for now until they resolve it.

2 comments:

runner@runningbetty.com said...

I eat edamame and soy sauce occasionally, and heavily processed soy (like soy burgers) rarely. I also don't drink soy milk, but if I want to be dairy free enjoy almond milk or rice milk instead. It keeps for a long time.

Cynthia said...

I'm with you, Caroline. I avoid soy and will continue to until my cancer team dietition tells me it is safe. I'm hoping there are some good studies being conducted now because of the prevalence of soy in the marketplace these days.

If I choose vegetarian options for traditionally meaty fare, I skip soy versions and instead look for things done with beans, mushrooms and grains. I know those are good for us!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...