Monday, September 6, 2010

Planning on being remembered

We all get our 15 minutes of fame - some people's 15 minutes drags on more than other's. We are born and go through life and then we die. Some of us will be famous and have buildings or city intersections named after us. A few generations later everyone will wonder 'why was it named after them?' unless the person was REALLY famous. Most of us go through our mundane lives and at the end life goes on for everyone else. The space we filled in their lives is taken over by others in time. It is left to us to decide how to be remembered.

If we become the one to set a new record - oldest cancer patient to climb Mt. Everest (not me!) or beat Lance Armstrong's record of winning the Tour de France (really not me!) - there will be a record in life somewhere publicly. But how do we want to be remembered by the one's who really know us? With some planning, we can do this.

This young mother who died yesterday of cancer made a point of leaving a record for her children. Randy Pausch made a record for his family as well - his Last Lecture.

My point is plan ahead before its too late. A photo record, a video, a blog.... Not necessarily a legacy, but merely a remembrance. We are in control of our own lives.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...