Saturday, July 23, 2011
Modern advances for sick people
We know that medical advances have saved many lives. That is all well and good but the more important part is modern conveniences for us sick people so life is easier. If they can't cure us, we still should be able to live our lives comfortably.
Modern advances I couldn't live without:
- A VCR with a timer and now a DVR - I do not have to stay up late to watch my shows or worry about napping through them. (Or missing them because of a stupid doctor appointment.) They are always there waiting for me. Or I can even watch them online.
- Restaurant delivery services - why go out and sit in a chair that is not good for your bad back when they can bring you the food and you can eat it sitting on your couch with your feet up?
- Ice packs for pain relief. Especially in heat waves. These are wonderful. They are a little more difficult to deal with in January but we can always switch to heating pads.
- The internet. Its much easier to be sick at home when you can be connected to the outside world online and keep up with all your friends - and look up all your symptoms so you can develop a good case of Googlechondria.
- Mail order prescriptions - standing in line at the pharmacy is so passe. I am moving more and more prescriptions online to save money.
While I do appreciate medical advances and treatments, my life goes on when I am not at the doctor and I appreciate the comforts of home.
I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...
So after you get diagnosed with cancer, it seems like everyone you know has cancer because: You have met a lot of other people going throu...
Often when I am extremely stressed, I find I need to hibernate a bit, and 'lick my wounds' as they say. For the past month, since my...
I haven't been blogging recently because I have been emotionally stressed. It may take me a while longer to get back to it. My father , ...