So during Pinktober, I pledge:
- I will not purchase anything pink
- I will not donate to anything pink
- I will not raise any awareness for breast cancer
A product may sell for $20 and a portion of the manufacturer's profits go to breast cancer research. So the whole sale price is $10. The manufacturing costs are $7 which leaves $3 in profit and if 10% is donated, that is $0.30. You are better off sending the $20 directly to an established non profit.
And never mind pink lights on building, pink sports teams, pink garbage cans, pink fried chicken buckets, pink hats, and more.
As far as Electionovember, I pledge:
- I will vote on election day
- I will not dominate conversations with political rants
- I will not allow myself to be subject to anyone else's political rants
- I will make up my own mind on my votes
I think all politicians should be required to talk about their stance on issues and not be allowed to bash the other one. I mean they should be free to say things like 'my opponent disagrees with my position but I believe it is correct because...' but they should not be allowed to say things like 'my opponent is a liar and will contribute to the end of the world because they are wrong about everything'.
What if politicians had to take lie detector tests? Would that help?
In the meantime, feel free to join me in an unpinked and politic-free season.