Monday, April 29, 2013

If its not one thing, its another

Friday I noticed a little bump on the side of my wrist that appears to be on the end of one of the bones in my lower arm. It is solid and hurts. I had noticed some previous pain in the area but since I always have pain somewhere, I didn't really think about it.

Its about the size of a pea and might have gotten a little bigger this weekend. I have no idea what it is. I did contemplate that evil cancer word for a few moments. Dr Google told me it would be very unlikely to be any kind of cancer.

I have often been asked by my doctors if when I had my last flare and my response is I don't know because I am not sure if I have had one or not. I think that doctors assume that once you are diagnosed with RA that you will have flares immediately. But I never really knew what a flare was. Apparently its lots of aches and pains, head aches and all sorts of fun. I feel like that a lot of the time.

Yesterday afternoon, I went online and asked a friend with RA about my little lump. She said it sounds like an RA nodule. I thought nodules didn't hurt. She said hers did when they first appeared. She said they come and go for her. I am (not) overjoyed.

I did a little online research (because Dr Google always knows more) and found out that injectable methotrexate has the dubious side effect of causing more RA nodules. So two days after my first injection, I get a nodule. I will call my rheumatologist's office this morning and ask if this is something that I should be concerned about.

The problem is I can't take most of the other organic injectables because of my medical history (blah, blah, blah). So am I stuck with more RA nodules as a result? Crap. But its not cancer so I will think some positive thoughts and give evil looks to the little bump.

1 comment:

Emily Frankovich said...

You might have a rheumatoid node. I have several and they hurt when they start but dont bother me much once they have stopped growing. Some of the bumps on my hand are probably nodes and I remember getting a quite painful one on my elbow.
A flare is usually one joint or another that swells up and gets hot. Generally feeling lousy is just the RA that we live with. And you of course mix it up with fibromyalgia.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...