Friday, July 4, 2014

In need of a few profound words

Last weekend, we participated in the New England Coalition for Cancer Survivorship's annual Take the Lake event. It is a family friendly fundraiser - 25 mile bike ride or 3 mile run/walk around a local lake. In my normal healthy manner, I convinced my husband to walk around the lake for the exercise while I took care of fundraising and selling raffle tickets at the event.

As an incentive to all the fundraisers, anyone raising more than $500 got a commemorative brick in Boston's Garden of Hope in conjunction with the Conquer Cancer Coalition. That seemed a little far off for me but we actually did raise an ample amount to get a brick. Now the question:

WHAT THE HELL DO WE WRITE ON THE DAMN BRICK?

It will leave a eternal lasting impression in Boston's City Hall Plaza and will be seen by many people over the ensuing centuries. Or maybe I am too optimistic and I should say decades. But still it will be brick and be here for a really long time.

We have 12 days to figure this out. I need inspiration. Four lines, 21 characters (including spaces) each.

All I have come up with so far is:

Remembering Those
Who Went Before Us

And then our names (which do not fit on one line)

What would you write? Its not about us. I know too many people who have died of cancer to list them all and to list only one or two would be skewed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey---- you are a born and bred Yankee, how about some good old Ralph Waldo Emerson for your wonderful brick? How about:
Always do what you are afraid to do.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea,drink the wild air.
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars.
Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising up every time we fail.
Whatever you do, you need courage.
It is not the length of life, but the depth,
----- above quotes from the Goodreads website.
Hi from Robin!!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...