Sunday, December 20, 2015

Characteristics of a good doctor

I found this article online on what makes a good rheumatologist. But I really think the criteria should apply to all doctors.

The criteria are:
  1. Makes Time for You - When you have an appointment they focus on you and take time to answer your questions and do not leave you hanging when they rush off to their next appointment.
  2. Is On Your Team - They make you the leader of the team. They back off and let you make the decisions on what is best for you but also know when to more strongly suggest a different treatment.
  3. Is Available - Works to fit you in or speak to you on the phone when you really need it.
  4. Is Compassionate and Resourceful - Warmth and concern will allow you to relax and ask questions and bring up concerns.
  5. Has a Sense of Humor - if they aren't relaxed enough to bring a sense of humor with them, you may never be able to get them to open up with you and you with them.
  6. Don't Be Afraid To Switch - Doctors, like many other things, are like dating. If  they don't make you happy, move on.
I have learned to speak up to my doctors and make sure I make decisions instead of letting them railroad me into a decision. I also want a doctor I can get on the phone, get into see, and talk to honestly. If I can't do this with my doctors I fire them and move on.

This has taken me a long time to get to this point. You spend more than 30 years dealing with multiple doctors and conversations that always lead to 'with your medical history, we need to be sure' and you will be right there with me.

A good doctor will lead you to better care and better able to manage your ailments. So go find a good doctor who will lead you on the road to better care for you.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...