Wednesday, December 9, 2015

He's walking the walk, not just talking the talk

Here's an example of someone who is really walking the walk. A former NHL (Non Hodgkin Lymphoma) patient, Robert Bazemore, is now the CEO of Epizyme which is developing a drug targetting NHL (which is not just a hockey league for some with cancer).

This is huge to me.  I greatly hope that this means the company will focus on the patients and not just on the bottom line.  The article mentions that he did not mention his medical history when interviewing for the board but did reveal it after learning about the focus of the company.

As a cancer person it is very difficult not to let a disease define you and what you do. Often we keep it hidden from co-workers because we do not want to be labeled or thought of as being sick. This can be a huge detriment to one's career path. If others think we aren't physically up to a job or we might n need too much time off and would be a burden to the company and therefore would not get a job offer.

But now that we have a CEO, openly a cancer person, running a company which is developing a drug that might help him and others with his same cancer. I am a huge fan.

I wish more people could do this and society would not shame people for medical issues.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...