Saturday, December 19, 2015

Becoming more daring

As your health declines do you become more daring? You hear about people coming up with their 'bucket list' and include things like parachuting, hot air ballooning, or other crazy things they never had tried before.

I apologize but I have been thinking this morning - something I should never do according to my husband. I read an article this morning by a base jumper who took a 102 year old woman on a jump. And she loved it. And she went on to riding an elephant and going on a hot air balloon ride. The risk of death in base jumping is much higher than regular jumping out of a (perfectly good) airplane.

Why do people come up with all these ideas, like base jumping, parachuting, and more, to put on their bucket list? Its one thing to see the Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Grand Canyon, or some other exotic place. But its really another to try something that clearly has a high death risk, like base jumping.

Do we become more daring as we are nearer to death? Do we really have less concern for potential death and seriously injury as our health declines? Are we just trying to restore some sense of normalcy as we can no longer partake of many other activities?

'Well I can't climb a mountain anymore so I might as well jump out of an airplane.' Well, why not? No, I'm not going to jump out of an airplane even though I can't climb a mountain anymore. But should I take up other activities?

I'll have to think about this. Do I want to become more daring? Or do I accept I know my limits?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you heard about drugs targeting cancer metabolism? Cancer cells get their energy turning on energy production pipelines that normal cells don't use (google Warburg effect if you want to know more about it). There are drugs targeting those pipelines, killing cancer cells while sparing healthy cells. There's a clinical study recruiting patient. I though you might want to check it out.
http://wellness4cancer.com/research/metablox/

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...