Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Needles and more needles

I don't like needles. Well, I am okay with the sewing kind but not the kind they stick into you. Its not like I will pass out on the floor but I just can't see them or look at them or see them going into me or anyone else (why do they always show that on TV? - ICKY!) or... well you get the picture. Me and needles are not BFFs. When I arrive at the blood lab for tests, I always say 'don't show me the needles'.

So yesterday it was with great interest I read this article that coughing can ease the pain of a needle going into you. Well, I think this is a big fat lie. When you cough, you react and move. What if when you cough, you move and they miss? OUCH! I'm not trying it.

Then there was a second article which is somewhat upsetting. They are recalling needles used for port injections because they are making little slivers of silicone which can get into the port or the patient. These needles were manufactured between Jan 2007 and August 2009. I had my port from September 2007 to March 2008 (or somewhere around there). I am not reassured by this at all. Do I have little slivers circulating around inside me? Well, I guess they might be better than cancer cooties but still a port was supposed to be helpful not potentially dangerous. And they don't tell you really what the risks of little slivers is. Thank you for the (lack of) reassurance.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...