Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Waiting for another magic pill

I was reading again (someday I promise to stop but for now I am a closet book worm who reads all the time - except the book I promised my boss I would read) yesterday and found this article saying they need another magic pill. This one is for preventing fractures in women with osteoporosis. Since I am one of those lucky people with osteopenia, the precursor to osteoporosis, I can't wait for them to come up with this magic pill as well.

My osteopenia was diagnosed in May 2008 by my primary care physician after a bone density scan - because thyroid medications and other things are hard on bones and I have a family history. Her thought was up my dose of calcium and vitamin D for two years and then recheck my bone density before trying any treatment. My oncologist has since said that she wants to switch me to an aromatase inhibitor from Tamoxifen this spring, but AI's are hard on bones as well. I will have another bone density scan and be monitored more closely as a result.

Personally, find a magic pill that cures everything so I can stop taking so many damn pills - I have already taken two pills today and am about to take 3 more followed by a handful of vitamins in a few hours

I'm done whining - for now. Off to work for the day. Yesterday I left much later than I wanted to. Today I want to leave in about 15 minutes which is possible. Its also Walter's last day of work before surgery. Tonight we will have a special meal of beef tenderloin, yorkshire pudding, potatoes, and salad followed by Ben & Jerry's ice cream. Tomorrow he gets blah food and laxatives followed by his big adventure Friday morning. But I will worry about that then and not now and get moving to work.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...