Monday, April 25, 2011

Doctors have a history?

Wait, that can't be. Doctors are supposed to be all knowing and medicine should be black and white. This symptom means this, that one means that, and it is curable by this. None of this nonsense of maybe this, maybe that, never mind that once before they saw this and the result was that.

But no, that is not the way life is. Doctors have a history as well. Life is not fair. Doctors go through medical school and then get out in the real world as residents and start seeing patients who color everything in shades of gray. Women and men don't show cardiac symptoms the same way. Heck, every cancer is different - put ten patients in the same room with the exact same diagnosis and then start comparing their treatment protocols, how they reacted them, and their current medical health - nothing will be the same.

Doctors learn the facts in medical school and then learn the gray shades from their patients and how complicated things really are. In some sick way I take pleasure in stumping my doctors with my multitude of issues. But really I would prefer to be healthy. I also want a world with black and white medical answers, none of this shades of gray, with cures for everything.

1 comment:

nancyspoint said...

Sometimes you just have to go with your gut instincts...

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...