Saturday, April 16, 2011

More on the Estrogen Controversy/Confusion

All of us breast cancer people know about the estrogen controversy/confusion about if you have had estrogen positive breast cancer, should you avoid estrogen in the future? Based on yet another new study (of course, what would the world be without medical studies), the answer is sometimes its good and sometimes its bad.

I saw this article and thought - maybe I can finally figure this out - and it left me more confused than I was before.

I am keeping my stand of I am skipping estrogen because it allows me to avoid eating tofu which I hate. (Tofu and soy can mimic estrogen so supposedly it should be avoided by women with estrogen positive breast cancer - or so the last study said.) Anyhow this article only says that sometimes its good and sometimes its bad and since I have no way of knowing which is which, I am happy to be a confused, non-tofu eating breast cancer person for now.

1 comment:

ButDoctorIHatePink said...

I just eat what I want. I am not a huge tofu fan but I eat it in soups. I love edamame so eat that. I don't think I get enough from my foods to make a difference. However, I stay away from the estrogen supplements, as much as I'd like to try them to help with hot flashes. If they are giving me an estrogen blocker to prevent my cancer from coming back, it stands to reason that we probably shouldn't add a good amount back.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...