Sunday, July 12, 2015

A long sad day

Yesterday I drove my parents to the memorial service for a neighbor from my childhood. It was a 330 mile round trip. By the time I got home it was nearly 9pm and 12 hours from when I left the house. I don't travel so well these days so I made a point of getting a lot of sleep last night.

Susan died last fall from breast cancer, six weeks after her diagnosis. She had ignored pain in her ribs last spring because she thought she had strained something. She was a farmer and very active. Also her tumor was so far back and so close to  her ribs, it may not have shown up on a mammogram. It wasn't until she started feeling many more symptoms did she end up in the emergency room and got some very bad news.

Her mother was also diagnosed with early stage breast cancer in early 2014. So in speaking with her two remaining sisters, I made a point of telling them both they should consider themselves high risk for breast cancer. They agreed and said they had already spoken to their doctors about it.

It was a nice memorial service and internment of her ashes followed by a family gathering at their house on the ocean. I got to catch up with both her sisters, mother, and another friend from 4-H back in the 1960s.

I also met a woman who has the same rheumatologist as me. Her rheumatoid was more advanced than mine and she has had six joints replaced - both ankles, knee, and hips. I can't remember them all. She has refused to go on to a biologic and has been on methotrexate for 14 years. She was in a wheelchair because of her recent surgeries. I never want to be in a wheel chair. Another sad reminder of the implications of my ailments.

Between a memorial service, a long drive, and seeing the implications of rheumatoid. It had an emotional as well as a physical toll. I need a day off today but have too much to do.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

So sorry for the rough day, wishing you better ones to come.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...