Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Chronic Illness Truths

I met a woman named Julie on Sunday. I was giving away yarn from my stash that I will never use and she knits hats for homeless people. She also has health issues and understands what it is like to change your life to accommodate your ailments.

Anyway, Julie is writing an anthology of stories of people who are living with chronic illnesses and is looking for people to contribute their story by September 15, 2015. You can find out more on her Tumblr site here.

I find the idea of me writing about life with chronic illnesses intriguing. I have written a lot about life with cancer and my cancers are probably more treated as chronic and not terminal illnesses. They are also not acute illnesses meaning they won't go away. My cancers are symptomless, for now but they could always return, which just adds to the fun.

Life with a chronic illness which is symptomatic is very different than one that doesn't cause a lot of pain. My life with degenerating disks started to cause me some pain in my back and hips. The my life with RA and fibromyalgia is loads more fun. I have pain in many more places and it has changed my ability to work more hours and my ability to get a good night's sleep, walk any distances, stand for more than a few minutes, and all sorts of basic things in life.

I think I will write something for Julie's anthology. If any of you feel the need, check her site and write something yourself.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...