Saturday, May 7, 2016

What Are The Odds?

Today is Kentucky Derby Day, what are the odds your horse will win? My money is on Creator. I know nothing about horse racing but in my family we always place dollar bets on the Derby. The only time I ever saw my grandmother gloat was when she won $3 on the Derby.

With cancer, what are the odds your cancer will come back? With rheumatoid, fibromyalgia, or other chronic diseases, what are the odds your disease will progress quickly? I don't know. Nobody knows. Our doctors give us estimates on what could our prognosis be and suggest treatment protocols. They hope to improve our odds.

The media is also full of 'advice' on what we can eat, drink, or do to reduce our odds of any of these issues. We can drink red wine or skip alcohol. We can eat super foods, drink smoothies, and get our exercise. Or we can eat bonbons and drink sugary soda. Then we just cross our fingers and hope for the best.

I mean I can do everything I could possibly do but none of my ailments are going away any time soon. Cancer twice is etched permanently in my medical history. Then the degenerating disks in my spine and my knee with a full torn ACL aren't getting any better either. My RA and fibromyalgia are staying around too.

 So I do what feels right for me. What else can I do? I live with the odds. But I am going to enjoy myself and not stress out about them.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...