Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Pain

I did some research and I am not sure it was a good idea.

First I heard about this news story that swearing makes pain more bearable. Not bad, every one start swearing away instead of saying 'ouch' and 'ow'. How polite.

Then I started following the links in the article. There is a very optimistic one that says a genetic cure for pain. But if you watch the video, it says tests on humans are YEARS away. (No I don't have advanced cancer as they cite in the video.)

Another enlightening article gives pain facts and says 'scientists don't understand pain'. Wow! Great news! They can't cure cancer either. It also has my favorite: Chronic pain shrinks people's brains. So between chemo brain and pain, am I getting dumber? If I lose the equivalent of a pea size piece of my brain every year? How long do I have before I lose my mind? (How many peas in a skull?) If I have to wait years for the genetic cure for pain, will I have a brain left?

Do I feel reassured after doing my research? Not really. I think I'll go back to reading trashy novels, watching cooking shows, and wasting time on Facebook.

1 comment:

Rynaldo said...

What breast type are you? To find out, please visit: http://breasttypes.yolasite.com copy and paste link into browser

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...