Thursday, March 22, 2018

That Drama Queen Friend

And this can apply to males as well. But we all have the drama queen friend who spends hours/days/weeks/months agonizing over their latest ailment - a bunion, or a boil, or a blister, or whatever they have.

Maybe they got new shoes that caused their feet to develop problems or they tripped and slightly skinned their knee (and ruined a pair of brand new tights). They are in agony with every step. There was so much blood. And it still hurts three days later. I am not trying to minimize real injuries or ailments but just the ones who act like they are on an episode of the "Kardashians" or "Jersey Shore" with every incident.

I know people like this. I think we all do. In comparison, those of us with chronic ailments start to wonder if we are hypochondriacs because we are constantly at the doctor's office or on the phone with them because of our latest issue.

I read this article over on RheumatoidArthritis.Net on the influence of these friends on our own thoughts about ourselves. And it made me think. I often wonder if I am getting to be such a hypochondriac because I do spend so much time at the doctors.

I do know people who are basically healthy. One woman I used to work with scheduled all her doctor appointments in one week each year to get them over with and she never went to the doctor any other time. (To be honest, I am jealous.) But I know a few drama queens who make me feel like a hypochondriac. They may go to the doctor a lot but its not for anything chronic or potentially terminal.

But I go to the doctor all the time. I think I would prefer to be a drama queen than a hypochondriac.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...