Sunday, July 11, 2010

Another article that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy

In case you missed it, yet another drug company is under fire for sloppy clinical trials about one of their drugs. In this case its Glaxo Smith Kline and the drug is Avandia. Now I don't take Avandia and don't have diabetes. But the issue is clearly pointed out as sloppy data analysis in clinical trials. Tell me this is the only case ever of sloppy data keeping and I'll be happy. But we all know there probably are many other cases of this. People are human, they have deadlines and rush to meet them and take short cuts. Its called life

This is a clear example of why clinical trials need to be supervised closely, analyzed deeply, and new drugs need to be closely watched. There are many very sick people out there who find hope each time a new drug is made available, either through clinical trial or by prescription, but many new medications are very powerful and we can't assume they will only work on the one part of your body that is causing your problems. For example, a new pain drug you take orally has to go through your digestive system. On its way to solving your pain, it could also take a toll on your liver or stomach or other body parts. At any rate there is a lesson to be learned here. In the meantime, I don't really feel all warm and fuzzy about the drugs I take and their side effects.

In the meantime, I have decided there is a new word for my body 'dilapidated'. But enough about me. Yesterday I went for a walk with my husband and we noticed how low the water levels were in the conservation land. We have not had a rain really in a month. Then yesterday we got 2.5" of rain (which completely refilled my rain barrel I had accidentally left on last week and emptied) and there was a bit of flooding around here. I watched some amazing video of flooding at Fenway park - at least the seats are now clean. I digress. Today I will go back out to the conservation land and see what the impact of the one storm was.

A quote for the day from my cousin: Keep your dreams big and your worries small.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...