What a lovely old saw. How quaint. How ironic - I don't have my health and RealAge agrees! Annually I make an effort to go into my Real Age account and update my health to see how old they think I am. I am old. Currently I am 16.4 years older than my actual age.
According to RealAge this is why I am old:
- Having a history of breast cancer - hello, I did not request this one.
- Living with cancer - see above
- Worrying too much - see above
- Dealing with heartburn - see above and see one about too many meds that hurt my stomach
- Having depression - ahem, see above. If you had cancer twice, you would be depressed too.
- Taking too many meds - that pesky cancer thing again.
- Not knowing your cholesterol levels - I try to remember this but that pesky cancer thing gets in the way at the doctor's office.
- Having oral hygiene concerns - did I ask for bad gums? No. But I do floss
- Being an ex-smoker for under 5 years - time will fix this one but then I'll be older too
- Driving a small vehicle - big cars use more gas and I'm cheap.
- Facing a lot of stress - see that cancer thing again0
- Not eating enough whole grains - I do I thought. Maybe I'll go cheat and change my answers.
- Needing to review your eating habits - Do they know I sneak in candy at work sometimes?
- Eating too much red meat - we are working on this one.
- Not building flexibility - with back pain, its hard to bend.
- Neglecting your muscles - see note about back pain.
- Having a high BMI - if you can't move without pain you get fat. And there is that stress thing from cancer again.
- Not knowing your resting heart rate - well, sorry! I'll ask but see my reply for cholesterol
- Doing only the bare minimum - see my replies about back pain.
So basically its says I am old, fat and lazy as well as stressed and depressed from cancer. And it didn't even get into a second cancer diagnosis, back issues, sprained ankle, multiple surgeries, and all my other medical crap.Maybe I should go back and take out all the cancer related stuff and see what it tells me then. I'll just pretend I have my health.
Overall I think RealAge is a great tool (and they have CatAge and DogAge too). It is a good way to show you what you need to work on to get in better shape. I recommend it to everyone.
I guess my point is that we need to take care of ourselves to feel better and live longer. I'm trying but I'm not always sure I am going in the right direction.
This is the misunderstood side of my life - how I live with limitations. The other day, I visited my mother who also has RA. We went for a w...
As part of the universal pinkification of October, Good Housekeeping magazine has a section on breast cancer (who knew?). But one thing they...
I haven't been blogging recently because I have been emotionally stressed. It may take me a while longer to get back to it. My father , ...
Often when I am extremely stressed, I find I need to hibernate a bit, and 'lick my wounds' as they say. For the past month, since my...