Monday, March 28, 2011

Getting the brush off from a doctor

So you aren't feeling well, so you go to see your doctor. Maybe its not your regular doctor because you got squeezed in to see someone or you are out of town. This doctor doesn't really know you. They may or may not have an idea of your medical history. They come in to the exam room and, because they don't know you, they make assumptions as they take their first look at you.

Here is an example of a woman who is overweight who went to for head pain and was told twice that it was all about her weight. No tests given, nothing. Just go home, you would be fine if you weren't fat. Such concerned care!

I felt this is the kind of reaction I got from the rude Dr. B I met with on my blood pressure a couple of weeks ago. He said to me what he had to say and didn't care what I set. He made assumptions that because I don't have a BMI of less than 25, my weight, combined with no exercise, poor eating habits, and too much stress in my life caused my high blood pressure. There could be no underlying cause. I am lucky that he actually decided I need some kind of follow up.

If a doctor walks in and makes assumptions and doesn't care what you say as the patient, its time for a new doctor. Dr. B will never be my doctor again. This is called voting with your feet. The woman in the article kept pushing and found out she had a series of small strokes. See how wrong the doctors can be?

The majority of medical professionals are good caring people. However there can always be ones who are having a bad day or just showing their egos off to the rest of the world who's actions can actually harm patients. Those are the ones we should run from. Our doctors and medical team should treat us as equals who should be listed to.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...