Thursday, May 19, 2011

Yesterday was a bad day so apparently I am crabby

I had a bad day yesterday. It was long, eventful, stressful, and tiring. My husband keeps telling the cat to avoid me because I am being crabby - even though I fed the cat and made lunch for my husband.

Yesterday morning I woke up starving, wanting breakfast, and couldn't eat, even have coffee because I had a fasting blood test before my 830 doctor appointment. I got up, fed the cat and made lunch for my husband, and was starving. I finally took a shower before getting dressed. My big toe on my left foot has been bugging me for a few days so I took a look at it after getting out of the shower. It was infected. I mean there was (yucky) pus next to my toe nail. I don't consider that something one wants to see. Crap.

I went to the hospital for my blood test and grabbed coffee and a banana (as a crabbiness reduction attempt) and called my doctor's office to be seen the same day. I got a 915 am appointment which fit nicely after my previously scheduled 830 appointment. At my 830 appointment my meds therapist wanted to know why I didn't want to increase the dose of one of my meds. I said I prefer to take fewer instead of more medications and if I am doing fine at one dose then why change it? She thought I should increase it, I disagreed. Then I realized there were refills available at the original low dose that she had ordered previously. Call me cranky but I don't want more drugs.

Then I went off to see the doctor about my toe. Its infected - now that's news (I saw it). But she said I had gotten it before it went wild. So I have to soak it twice a day in warm water, keep it covered with bacitracin or something and a bandaid and take an antibiotic for the next 7 days. If its not better in a week, call back for a follow up with a podiatrist and he can cut away at my toe. Oh joy! That sounds like some much (not) fun!

On my way home from the hospital, I stopped at medical records to (stupidly) pick up my test results from all the tests I have had recently. They did have the results of my fasting blood test from that morning which was good. This is what I found out. My mammogram was fine - but I already knew that. My bone density scan shows that I am once again back in osteopenia land after successfully leaving it two years ago. I have lots of good cholesterol and only a little of bad cholesterol. I have my EKG but haven't deciphered it yet but my doctor said it was fine but fast. I want to figure out the notes from when they compared it to my last one.

Once I got home I realized that I had not received my full blood count test results. But since I have another appointment today I can stop by and get it - and then it showed up in the mail. That was full of all sorts of nice news such as my blood counts are finally returning to the pre-chemo levels. My thyroid levels are back into low normal but we are still adjusting them.

Then I worked from home, met a friend for coffee, stood in a giant line picking up three prescriptions and rushed to PT. After that I came home did more work and had a conference call for volunteer work for an hour when all I wanted to do was go to bed early.

So the result of yesterday is I have another prescription to take, 2 new issues - infected toe and osteopenia, and have a bruise from this week's blood test growing on top of the bruise from last week's blood test.

Maybe because it has now rained for 6 days in a row is why I am cranky. But I also would prefer to get healthy.


nancyspoint said...

Sometimes it's just fine, even necessary, to be cranky. That's what I tell myself anyway! Hope the toe gets matter. Sunshine will probably help with the crankiness too!

Anonymous said...

hi caroline! my name is felix and i would like to feature your story in my blog. it basically deals with people who have gone through cancer and their struggles through it. if this something that might interest you please reach me on the email adress thank you and keep on with the fight!!!

Online pharmacy said...

Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter.

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...