Monday, June 25, 2012

Warning - Smart phones are dangerous

"People are risking their health by working on smartphones, tablets and laptops after they have left the office, according to the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy."

No, they don't (think they) they cause brain tumors. Its much much worse! They hurt their..... [insert drum roll]... posture! I first read this article a couple of days ago and still find it intriguing in the sense of overhype of stupid bits of news.

"It says people have become "screen slaves" and are often working while commuting or after they get home.

The society said poor posture in these environments could lead to back and neck pain."

Here's the advice:

"Unions said people needed to learn to switch off their devices."

That's it. Use the off switch. Tell your boss to take a hike and stop bugging you after hours - unless you really have a critical profession and the world might come to an end if you didn't check your email or voice mail or catch the latest Kardashian gossip on Twitter.

The chairwoman of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, Dr Helena Johnson, said the findings were of "huge concern".

She said: "While doing a bit of extra work at home may seem like a good short-term fix, if it becomes a regular part of your evening routine then it can lead to problems such as back and neck pain, as well as stress-related illness. 

"This is especially the case if you're using hand-held devices and not thinking about your posture. Talk to your employer if you are feeling under pressure."

The general secretary of the Trades Union Congress, Brendan Barber, said: "Excessive work levels are not good for anyone. Overworked employees are not only unlikely to be performing well at work, the stress an unmanageable workload causes is also likely to be making them ill.

"By the time someone is so overloaded they constantly feel the need to put in extra hours every night of the week at home, things have clearly got out of hand.

"Individuals who find themselves unable to leave their work in the office should talk to their managers and learn to switch off their smartphones."

This is a real article from BBC. I personally find the article a prime example of the decay of modern society (did I really use that phrase?) Well anyway, here's my thoughts on why this is so bad.

1. Overuse of hype. Good posture is a good thing and we all knew that. Our parents always said 'stand up straight'. But I think the problem is a bit overinflated here. Its not a medical disaster.

2. I don't call it a medical issue anyway. Its a management issue. Unless your job requires it and you knew it signing up, you should not be 'on call' in the evenings and on weekends. Its time management for you and management for your boss.

3. I question how newsworthy this is anyway. I mean there's a lot more going in the world - SJC ruling on healthcare, Syria and Turkey, research on the cure for cancer.

Posture is less of a concern to me than cancer. Sorry. Since my smart phone isn't going to kill me off anytime soon and my back already hurts, posture is low on my priority list.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...