Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Waiting for the end of Pinktober

At the beginning and end of September I asked all to take a pledge to avoid pinkification and wasting money on pink things that do not help cancer research. It is still not too late to take the pledge for 2013.

I (state your name [and not the Animal House version]) promise that during the month of Pinktober, formerly known as October, I will not arbitrarily purchase pink items or donate to pink causes with out first researching how much actually goes to breast cancer research or screening services. 

I will first research them using services such as Charity Navigator (www.charitynavigator.org) to ensure they are legitimate.

I also promise that I will not support pinkification efforts to paint things pink, light up buildings in pink, or other such activities.

Thank you.

Today is the second to last day of Pinktober, formerly known as October. Did you research causes to ensure they were legitimate? Did you arbitrarily purchase pink items?

Its not too late. You have 36 hours or so to still make a difference without being pink. If you did help in pinkification, now is your chance to take a step back and reevaluate what you did so you will not repeat again next year.

You may think I am being redundant here but I do feel strongly about this. Ridiculous amounts of money are spent on cancer awareness causes, of which Pinktober contains the worst, that are unnecessary.

What is necessary is money for cancer research. I do not think anyone ever the age of 10 living in US, Canada, and Northern Europe who is not aware of cancer these days. We have all 'been there, got the t-shirt'. And cancer still has no cure, along with many other diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cystic Fibrosis, diabetes, and more.

Skip the awareness, skip the t-shirt, and help with research.

Please take a moment to reflect on your contributions to pinkification this year and see how you could change your efforts next year to help with research instead of another t-shirt.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...