Friday, July 15, 2011

Life with pain... without the drugs

I take five prescriptions daily. One for thyroid, one for post breast cancer, one for back pain, one for inflammation related to back pain, and one for my sanity. I have other prescriptions in cases of extreme pain or loss of sanity. I still get a lot of pain.

Sometimes I wonder what if I stopped taking them all - well not the thyroid one or the breast cancer one or the sanity one... But the back pain and inflammation ones. I mean what if my pill supplies ran out and they didn't make them any more, where would I be? I would prefer not to go to the doctor or to take any medications. Before all this, I was an advil every few months kind of person.

I was interested to read this article about living with pain without drugs.

The article recomends five things instead of medicaitons:

1. Exercise - but I already exercise. I make it a point to keep moving.

2. Alternative therapies - like acupuncture.. I already do that too.

3. Sleep - one of my favorite past times. Believe me I make a point of getting my beauty rest (I need it!).

4. Supplements - I already take them - fish oil, vitamin B, etc

5. Heat and ice - ice is a wonderful thing after the gym. Heat is a wonderful thing for those other pains.

Okay, I need more suggestions. I already do these. So I guess I have to stick to the drugs for now.

7 comments:

Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna said...

Hi Caroline:)
Good to hear that we are more patients looking for healthy pain-relief strategies!! I've shared my best pain-reducing tips on this blog:
"365 pain-free days" http://365painfreedays.blogspot.com/p/about-this-blog.html
Maybe you can find some inspiration there?

All the best from Anna

Anonymous said...

Good Morning, My name is Heather. I had been reading your blog from the first week my cancer was confirmed.(It helped very much, answered ? and I did not feel so alone)I took a break after my second surgery, then this day I came by to say Hi and your topic was just what I woke up thinking how do I get rid of the pain. I lost my patients in the pharmacy-1+hrs. and left with out the pain meds.You gave me motivation,to try, remember when it did not hurt.Good luck Thank-you HJ

Anonymous said...

Hi Caroline,

My name is Liz and I have been checking on your blog for the last several months now. I am sorry that you have so much to deal with in terms of health, but like you said, despite all of that you are still here. Your posts are really helpful for many people.

That said, since your blog is a great resource for someone going through cancer I wanted to reach out to you to see if you were interested in a new online social support network (that I am the community manager of!) called I Had Cancer. It is a new and free social support network focused on connecting people based on experiences with cancer so that they can easily communicate with one another and share information. I would love to tell you more if you are interested, so please let me know! Because I was so struck by your writing I would love to send you an early-access pass with extra invites for others you may know going through this journey.

Either way, thank you so much for your writing. Take care and best regards.
-Liz@ihadcancer.com
If anyone would like information on I Had Cancer please email me.

Moira said...

Caroline,

You might try meditation. It can be just effective as pain meds.

http://turningpointkc.blogspot.com/2011/07/meditation-and-pain-management.html

muebles las rozas said...

Oh my god, there is really much useful information here!

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...