Saturday, July 23, 2011
Modern advances for sick people
We know that medical advances have saved many lives. That is all well and good but the more important part is modern conveniences for us sick people so life is easier. If they can't cure us, we still should be able to live our lives comfortably.
Modern advances I couldn't live without:
- A VCR with a timer and now a DVR - I do not have to stay up late to watch my shows or worry about napping through them. (Or missing them because of a stupid doctor appointment.) They are always there waiting for me. Or I can even watch them online.
- Restaurant delivery services - why go out and sit in a chair that is not good for your bad back when they can bring you the food and you can eat it sitting on your couch with your feet up?
- Ice packs for pain relief. Especially in heat waves. These are wonderful. They are a little more difficult to deal with in January but we can always switch to heating pads.
- The internet. Its much easier to be sick at home when you can be connected to the outside world online and keep up with all your friends - and look up all your symptoms so you can develop a good case of Googlechondria.
- Mail order prescriptions - standing in line at the pharmacy is so passe. I am moving more and more prescriptions online to save money.
While I do appreciate medical advances and treatments, my life goes on when I am not at the doctor and I appreciate the comforts of home.
I haven't been blogging recently because I have been emotionally stressed. It may take me a while longer to get back to it. My father , ...
As part of the universal pinkification of October, Good Housekeeping magazine has a section on breast cancer (who knew?). But one thing they...
About a year ago, I met a young woman who had had cancer since age 18 when she was diagnosed with an inherited pancreatic cancer. She had ne...
I often wonder in cancer treatment, which is worse - treatment or complications? I think complications win that one. To me complications mea...