Friday, March 3, 2017

What An Oncologist Should Not Say to a Cancer Patient

We hear all about good doctors and not so good ones. But every so often we hear about the one's you really do not want.

Yesterday someone told me about the recent visit to her oncologist for her breast cancer treatment. She brought her sister with her for moral support and to help her out. I think she said her sister asked the oncologist something about that after chemo the tumors would be gone. And the oncologist replied with 'unless there are any other tumors'. I don't remember the exact words but the point is NEVER say that to a cancer patient.

Seriously, what was she (the doctor) thinking? You want your oncologist to be full of reassurances that after this nasty brutal treatment you endured that the chances are pretty good that you are on your road to recovery. Yes, we know that you can get more tumors at any time. Just because you are treated you are not out of the woods (ever). If that was my oncologist I would be shopping for someone else.

So if your oncologist says anything like this, run, don't walk, away and find a new one. Clearly that doctor doesn't quite get it.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...