Sunday, January 6, 2013

Its a whole new world out there

So you get an ailment and, in the very 21st century way of doing things, you start a blog. You meet all kinds of people (in person and virtually), get and give support, and learn a lot about your ailment and resources available for you. You start following other blogs, sign up for communities and listservs, you get people to communicate with world wide.

Its amazing how much information and support is out there - its truly a wonderful thing. It can be a full time job to keep up on a single ailment.

But I started behind the curve as I had two ailments - two cancers - thyroid and breast to blog about. I have mostly focused on breast cancer but I have let the thyroid cancer come into play as well.

But now I have more ailments - fibromyalgia and rheumatoid - to cope with and blog about. I have followed more blogs, joined more online communities and listservs, my inbox has its own little folders to help manage the vast quantity of emails I receive - the most popular folders being 'Cancer' and 'Health'. I have a lot more to learn.

I never realized how insulated in the cancer world I was until I read the Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy's blog this morning about more of the best inflammatory arthritis blogs. I like the RA guy - he is a self described superhero blogging his way through chronic pain and debilitating inflammation. I will probably even join the monthly pain support group help locally as I learn more about my new issues.

I digress. Now I have a whole new world to learn about out there - find support, learn about my new ailments, and keep on blogging.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...