Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The cliff moved

Yesterday I had an appointment with my medical oncologist to finalize me going off Femara (after 5 1/2 years of hot flashes - jealous?). I have been debating/stressing/agonizing over this for a few weeks or months. I expected to have the big conversation yesterday.
I was wrong.

My oncologist's two children shared their stomach flu with their mother. Apparently she started vomiting as she drove to the hospital. I saw one of her nurse practitioners who I had never seen before instead.

She was very nice and remarked about my lengthy medical background (it is now at a level where doctors and other medical personnel comment on it) but we had never met before. She said according to the oncologist's notes when I saw her in August she was going to take me off Femara now, in January.

However, there has been new research suggesting longer on Femara might be better except in cases where the side effects are becoming an issue. Like me - my bones are turning into to Swiss cheese due to osteoporosis. But there still  might be benefit to staying on Femara for a while.

So we ended the appointment with:

She was going to email the oncologist with a list of questions on whether I should or should not go off Femara, when I should have another bone density scan, and when she wants to follow up with me next. I should hear back by the end of the week.

In the meantime, i is my decision on what to do. I can stay on Femara, stop Femara for good, or stop Femara and then go back on it if she wants me to.

The cliff moved. Damn. I feel like a politician.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...