- do these stupid wall climbing exercises to make sure your arm doesn't swell up
- never allow anyone to take your blood pressure or stick any needles in that arm
- never carry a shoulder bag or any bag on that arm that might compromise your circulation
- never lift anything heavy
- never injure your arm or fall on it.
- at any signs of swelling, contact your doctor.
Now they come out with a study which says "Breast Cancer Patients’ Fear of Developing Lymphedema Far Exceeds Risk". Well they scared the crap out of this with the 'rules' they gave us. I even had a special session with a nurse to review everything about lymphedema.
I was fine for about a year and a half and fell on my arm. Now I wear a stupid sleeve when I work out. I can't have needles or blood pressure taken on my left side. If I wear a watch on my left wrist, no matter how loosely, my arm feels heavy and swollen for days after.
So maybe they scared me, but they were right. Crap.