Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Oh, look another medical study!

I think I could write about a new (confusing/meaningless) medical study every day. Today's study is about if you should keep your ovaries when you have a hysterectomy. Well, now they are saying yes, keep them unless you have a family history of ovarian cancer. This refutes an earlier study about the important of keeping them because of increased risk of stroke and heart disease after they were removed.

So this proves my earlier assumption. If you don't like a medical study, ignore it, another one will appear and complete refute the first. Just for the record when I had my hysterectomy, I kept one ovary and they took the other (because it wasn't functioning) so I don't even know which group I am in any more.

Therefore, what is the most important thing to do to cope with all this conflicting information:

A. Summon your inner three year old and close your eyes and ignore them all.
B. Perform your own medical research and diagnose and treat yourself.
C. Use common sense.
D. Ask your doctor - that means you would spend all your time asking questions.

I usually opt for A with a little bit of D and a tiny bit of B. Common sense? Well, that's what got you to the doctor in the first place.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...