Sunday, August 21, 2011

Doctors as human beings

Sometimes us patients may not believe it but our doctors are human beings. Well most of the time, some times they seem to be sadists as they perform 'medical adventures' on semi-sedated patients who should only feel a 'pinch' or 'some pressure'. Actually I do think they are caring human beings but sometimes their practice of medicine on my body isn't very fun from my point of view.

As the patient, I think I should be the most important person in the room. There is no space for a doctor's ego, or anyone else's ego. But once you are sedated the doctor is in charge. They like to listen to music while they carve out little sections of your body. But I want to make a request - can I choose the music? I am going to be more relaxed if I listen to the music that I like - even if you have knocked me out.

This morning I found a blog by a doctor that isn't dry as dust and boring and ramble on about their research, medical breakthroughs, and papers they have written. It is even funner than a placebo and even has a disclaimer:

'This blog pro­vides gen­eral infor­ma­tion and dis­cus­sion about med­i­cine, health and related sub­jects. The words and other con­tent pro­vided in this blog, and in any linked mate­ri­als, are not intended and should not be con­strued as med­ical advice. If the reader or any other per­son has a med­ical con­cern, he or she should con­sult with an appropriately-licensed physi­cian or other health care worker.'

As always consult your own physician. But I think he is funny. He's a doctor with a sense of humor - even if he does need a disclaimer.

Go read more at http://zdoggmd.com/

PS I have no idea who he is but think he is funny and like his perspective.

No comments:

I Started a New Blog

I started this blog when I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Blogging really helped me cope with my cancer and its treatment. Howe...